Participation fee 2019 – 2021
The participation fee covers all tuition & administration costs throughout 4CITIES. Some excursion costs and costs associated with the thesis defence in Vienna and graduation in Brussels are not included in the participation fee. Additionally, students will need to cover their own travel and living costs.
The participation fee for 2019 – 2021 is:
- 4500 EUR/year (four thousand five hundred euros) for EU nationals
- 3000 EUR/year (three thousand euros) for self-paying EU nationals
- 9000 EUR/year (nine thousand euros) for non-EU Partner Country nationals and all Programme Country nationals
* Fees are per academic year; 4CITIES is a two-year programme.
** Self-paying EU nationals (those NOT receiving an EMMC scholarship) will receive a partial tuition waiver of 1500 EUR/year, and will therefore pay 3000 EUR/year instead of the normal 4500 EUR/year fee.
*** Fees for scholarship students include an accident and health insurance satisfying the “Minimum requirements for the health and accident insurance coverage” as published by the EACEA in its guidelines for Erasmus Mundus. Self-paying students without an EMMC scholarship have the possibility to take the proposed insurance scheme if they are not already insured (approx. EUR 500/year).
Erasmus Mundus Scholarships
Approximately 20 Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) scholarships are offered each year. All students who apply for 4CITIES during the October-January application window are automatically considered for a scholarship. EMJMD scholarships are good for two years (maximum 24 months) and provide the following:
- full coverage of all participation fees
- 4500 EUR per year for EU nationals
- 4500 EUR per year + 4500 EUR partial tuition waiver per year for non-EU Programme Country nationals
- 9000 EUR per year for Partner Country nationals
- subsistence costs
- 1000 EUR per month for both Programme and Partner Country nationals
- travel costs
- 1000 EUR per year for Programme Country nationals
- 2000 EUR per year plus one-time 1000 EUR for installation costs for Partner Country nationals located less than 4000 km from the EMMC coordinating HEI (Brussels)
- 3000 EUR per year plus one-time 1000 EUR for installation costs for Partner Country nationals located more than 4000 km from the EMMC coordinating HEI (Brussels)
Programme & Partner Students
Programme Country Students
Students whose nationality is one of the Erasmus+ Programme Countries (EU 28) count as Programme Country students. Additionally, Turkey, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway entered the Erasmus+ Programme as Programme Countries. Successful applicants who are nationals of these countries will be considered as Programme Country students and will receive the corresponding scholarships.
Partner Country Students
Students whose nationality is one of the Erasmus+ Partner Countries, i.e. non-EU countries with exception of Turkey, FYROM,Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway AND who fulfill the residency & 12-month rule are considered Partner Country students.
Partner Country students must not be current residents of a programme country nor have carried out their main activity (studies, training or work) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in a Programme Country. The five-year reference period for this 12-month rule is calculated backwards from the submission deadline.
Students with a Partner Country nationality who do not fulfil the Partner Country criteria defined above (residency + 12-month rule) count as Programme Country Students. The 12-month residency rule will not be applied to Partner Country candidates who for various reasons and under various circumstances have sought refuge and received a refugee status in a Programme Country.
Students with a double nationality (of a Partner and of a Programme Country) must specify the nationality under which they submit their scholarship application. This means you can freely choose the nationality under which you want to apply.
- EMJMD student scholarships can be offered to students from any region of the world, taking geographical balance into account. No more than 3 candidates from the same country (with the same nationality) should be awarded an EMJMD scholarship during the same intake.
- Student scholarship candidates who have already benefited from a JMD scholarship or from an EMMC scholarship are not eligible for another scholarship in the framework of a JMD program.
- Furthermore, EMJMD scholarship holders cannot at the same time be beneficiaries of a grant for student or staff mobility in the framework of higher education credit mobility projects, and vice versa.
- Scholarship candidates must have already obtained a first higher education degree or demonstrate a recognized equivalent level of learning according to national legislation and practices.
- EMJMD students scholarships are awarded exclusively for full-time enrollment.
- Students holding an EMJMD scholarship must commit themselves to participate in the master’s program in accordance with the terms defined by the consortium in the Student Agreement. Failure to do so could lead to the cancellation of the scholarship.
For more information: please see section 5 of the online application module, as it contains updated details not available on the website.